Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Personal Moment

Right now, it's raining cats and dogs outside and as I sit at my desk at work I find myself pondering what would be the most relaxing course of action to follow the post-workaday druggery (it's not that I'm slacking off, I'm just idling between jobs).

Of course that means I'm thinking of incense in some capacity. What sounds great to me as my Tuesday winds down to a close, is an aromatic exploration, blending some delicious tea (or now I can even get away with hot chocolate since autumn is on its way if not already upon us!) with a lavender joss stick. It occurred to me that perhaps you, dear reader,  would be interested in the mood effects of certain scents. Of course I'm talking about aromatherapy!

So here's a basic helpful guide to scents and their mood improving effects (alphabetically):

Basil- apart from it's culinary benefits the scent of Basil is great for improving concentration.

Jasmine- a great soothing and relaxing scent, but it's also great if you'd like to put some sparkle in your love life, since it acts as a great aphrodisiac!

Peppermint- for those who are down in the dumps, let peppermint pick you back up while lowering your cortisol (read= the chemical form of stress) levels! Not only is it a nice fresh clean scent that wakes you and gives you a little more bounce to your step, it's also great for relieving both headaches and stomach aches!

Rose- feeling amorous? We all know that the rose has many meanings but is generally associated with romance and love. It only stands to reason that the world's most romantic flower is also has powerful aphrodisiac properties!

Rosemary- apart from smelling delicious, Rosemary has also been shown to improve mood and performance,  while relieving stress, it also doesn't make you drowsy so it's a good afternoon scent to keep you revved and ready to power through the 2-3 o'clock drowsies.

Ylang-ylang- a great stress relieving scent that helps ease hypertension, stress and promotes mental calmness. Be warned Has been known to lower mental processing speeds, and impair memory, also overexposure can cause headaches and nausea.

References:

http:// http://www.essortment.com/aromatherapy-scent-meanings-effects-15912.html

No comments:

Post a Comment